Meditation Monday is where I share my reflections on Sunday’s sermons from my church, Watson Chapel Baptist Church, Pastor Todd Howard. Currently we are going through 2 Corinthians and Genesis. For our morning Mother’s Day service we focused our attention in 1 Peter 3:7 and in our evening service we were back in Genesis 1:2-25.
1 Peter 3:7
Yesterday’s Mother’s Day sermon was filled with many practical steps we as husbands can do to live with our wives in an understanding way. Out of all of what we learned I have nailed it down to four points.
1) God designed marriage and in order to live out marriage the way God has designed, your marriage must be Gospel Centered. A commitment to live out the Gospel together is crucial.
2) The responsibility to develop and maintain togetherness in marriage is on the husband. This area was especially convicting because it is so easy to get side tracked with the busyness of life or just stuff that we neglect one of the most important relationship in your world.
3) Living with your wife in an understanding way involves knowing her well. Involves studying her and knowing her likes and dislikes. Honoring her and acknowledging her worth.
4) The final point is knowing God and His truth well. We must be in communion with God through Jesus Christ because it is only through His grace and the power of His Spirit can we truly be the people he requires of us. Only through His Spirit can we know and apply the truths of Scripture in our marriage. With that being said, we must actively pick up the Scriptures and read it if we are to conform to the image of Christ.
In our evening service we were back in Genesis. Some great information was shared, the title was Truth and Lies. We went over many of the lies that are told to prove the theory of evolution. Then we went over the truth of the creation record from Genesis.
There is so much to write when we think about what we learned last night. The bottom line is are we going to accept the Bible as God’s inspired, authoritative and infallible Word of God or not. But the two points that I continue to reflect upon from last nights sermon are;
1) In the creation story God is the hero.
2) In the creation narrative God’s awesomeness is seen and it calls us to worship Him.